Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Keeping Up With The Jones'

Feels like it was only yesterday that I started this blog and now we're already almost 3 months into this process. It blows my mind. So I have a couple of things to update everyone on...

Natera (the lab), contacted us last week and gave us the run down of how the whole PGD thing works. When I say "run down" I really mean that they explained above and beyond everything I needed to know. They talked about "Snippets" and "52 to genotypes.".... I'm serious, it was like they were speaking another language! haha After our genetic counselor got done explaining everything, she ask if we had any questions. Obviously I had a thousand! haha So she proceeded to dumb it down to my level.

How the whole PGD process works is different for every case. It's dependent upon what kind of mutation of the gene, what type of gene, lots of things factor into PGD testing. Every PGD case is different. In our situation, what they're going to do is get a semen sample from Garrett and test all the sperm. Since they already know what his mutation looks like they'll be able to pick and choose which sperm don't have the Marfan mutation. Once they've found all the "golden sperm" (that's what Garrett and I are now call it haha) they'll ship that sperm back to Dr. Peterson and that will be when we'll start the IVF cycle. This is a pretty incredible thing. It ultimately means that all the good eggs they get from me will only be injected with the good sperm from Garrett. How cool is that?! Not only does it increase our chance of getting more viable embryo's it also increases the chance of having more children! Which means that we will only have to do this once! YAY!!!

Yesterday, we talked with the genetic counselor again and she gave us the billing information and the OK to start giving samples (blood, spit, the works!) . She also gave us the time line of how long the testing will take. At this point we're looking at 8 weeks till they are done with the tests. End of June should be when we start IVF. Fingers crossed it stays like that :)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Chellcee-

    I know we don't know each other...but I am a friend of Alexis Adams. We were neighbors in WY for a while. I saw her like your post on FB and it led me to your blog. I hope you don't mind me commenting, but I was so excited to read your IVF journey. We recently went through a cycle of IVF with PGD testing as well. We have a 5 year old son and then had another little boy with a metabollic condition called OTC deficiency, which ultimately took his life at 4 months old. We now know that I am a carrier of this disease, which we had no idea about until our little Weston was born. I have wanted so much to know someone that has done the IVF with PGD. You were an answer to my prayers today and helping me know that my Heavnly Father is very aware of me. It definitely is a roller coaster ride. Though ours was unsuccessful, we could most definitely see our Heavenly Father's hand in every single step we were taking. I, too am learning to trust in His will and especially in His timetable. Thank you for having the courage to share your story and your testimony. I am grateful I found your blog tonight. I wish you the very best of luck in your next steps. I'll be praying for you and thinking of you. Brooke Buchanan bbuchanan31@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke-

      Can I just say your comment made me tear up! It really is such a relief to hear other peoples stories. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine. This whole experience is so hard, but it's comforting to know that we're not alone it in. Would you mind if we emailed? I'd love to keep in contact! People like us need to stick together ;) haha Especially when things get difficult. Will you guys be starting another cycle soon? You guys will be in our prayers as well. Really, thanks for that comment. It warmed my heart :)

      Delete